In vitro tests for photogenotoxicity assessment as alternatives to photocarcinogenicity tests in ro-dents (Project part 1).
Materials, which are photo-activated under the influence of light (in particular the UV portion of the sunlight) may form reactive intermediates that when dermal exposition is given, can result in DNA damages and thus increase the risk of light induced skin tumors. The evaluation of the photo-carcinogenic potential is therefore essential part of the safety examination of ingredients of certain pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. At present the experimental examination of photocarcinogenicity is usually accomplished in a one year study on the substance mediated increase of light induced tumors in hairless mice connected with substantial suffering for the animals. It is therefore goal of the project to prevalidate in a ring trial two in vitro photogenotoxicity tests, the photo micronucleustest (P-MNT) and the photo cometassay (P-COM) die as possible alternatives to predict the photocarcinogenic potential of substances.
BfR – Department 3: Scientific Services (BfR - QUER) Details of BfR – Department 3: Scientific Services
Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) Details of (BfR) (Berlin)
01. 08. 2002 - 31. 07. 2004
- Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz Details of Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
- Bayer HealthCare Details of Bayer HealthCare
- Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM) Details of BfArM
- Novartis Pharma Services AG Details of Novartis Pharma Services AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG Details of F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- BMBF - alternative methods to animal testing Details of BMBF - alternative methods to animal testing
Purpose of research:
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) Details of (BMBF)
Project Management Agency:
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) Details of BMBF