Antibiotics resistance of bacteria with food products
Project code: MRI-MBT-08-2084 Bakterien
Contract period: 01.01.2015 - 31.12.2022
Purpose of research: Experimental development
Research at the MRI concerning antibiotic-resistant bacteria focuses on prevalence and entry points of such bacteria in the food supply, with special emphasis on ESBL-producing enterobacteria, tetracycline-resistant enterobacteria and methicillin-resistant, coagulase.negative staphylococci (MRCoNS). The MRI Departments of Microbiology and Biotechnology (Kiel), Safety and Quality of Milk and Fish (Kiel), Safety and Quality of Cereals (Detmold), Safety and Quality of Fruit and Vegetables (Karlsruhe) and Safety and Quality of Meat (Kulmbach) cooperate closely in this research project to cover both the animal and plant food groups. The research encompasses investigations on the characterization of antibiotic-resistance genes (resistome), as well as the transfer of such genes by mobile genetic elements (mobilome). The investigations include sequencing of both bacterial plasmids and chromosomes and new strategies to minimize the occurrence and spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria are evaluated. Such novel strategies include the use of bacteriophages as biocontrol agents.
1. Cho, G.-S., Li, B., Rostalsky, A., Fiedler, G., Rösch, N., Igbinosa, E., Kabisch, KJ. Bockelmann, W., Hammer, P., Huys, G. and Franz, C.M.A.P. 2018. Diversity and antibiotic susceptibility of Acinetobacter strains from milk powder produced in Germany. Front. Microbiol. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2018.00536.
2. Stoll, D.A., Stark, N.C., Becker, B., Kulling, S.E. und Huch, M. 2018. Antibiotic susceptibility of Enterobacteriaceae, isolated from sprouts, mixed salads and ready-to-eat salads in Germany. Journal of Food Safety and Food Quality 69, 49-56.
3. Fiedler, G., Brinks, E., Böhnlein, C., Cho, G.-S., Koberg, S., Kabisch, J.,Franz, C.M.A.P. 2018. Draft genome sequence of the intimin-positive enteropathogenic Escherichia albertii strain MBT-EA1, isolated from lettuce. Genome Announcements 6: e00255-18.
4. Igbinosa, E., Rathje, J., Habermann, D., Brinks,, E., Cho, G.-S., Franz, C.M.A.P. 2018. Draft genome sequence of multidrug-resistant strain Citrobacter portucalensis MBTC-1222, isolated from Uziza (Piper guineense) Leaves in Nigeria. Genome Announcements 6(9), e00123-18
5. Chowdhury F, Langenkämper G, Grote M. 2016. Studies on uptake and distribution of antibiotics in red cabbage. Journal für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit. 11, 61-69.
6. Schwake-Anduschus C, Langenkämper G. 2018 Chlortetracycline and related tetracyclines: detection in wheat and rye grain. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8982.